Confidently Navigate the Complexities of Firearm Laws - From the Gun Show to the Holster
The constitutional protection of individual gun rights has never been stronger, but regulatory and liability concerns can hamper even the most responsible owner. Is your knowledge of federal, state and local law effective enough to protect your client from criminal or civil charges? Let our judge and attorney faculty give you the insight you need. Learn the difference between Title 1 and Title 2 firearms, the requirements for selling at a gun show versus selling to a private party, and more. Make sure your clients are able to exercise their Second Amendment rights while avoiding liabilities that can put themselves or others at risk. Register today!
- Understand the lesser-known constitutional aspects of firearms law, including the First Amendment issues that surround gun shows.
- Know how the Firearms Owners Protection Act affects the possession of automatic weapons.
- Find out the legal requirements for an individual who buys multiple handguns in the same purchase.
- Recognize what Title 2 firearms are and the unique purchasing and taxation requirements that come with them.
- Get an overview of the legal requirements that govern firearms dealers, including audits by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Learn how to fight gun confiscations by law enforcement and contest errors in background checks.
- Identify situations in which you should or must break confidentiality with your client.
Who Should Attend
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is intended for attorneys. The content will be useful for law enforcement, government officials, firearm dealers and advocates for gun rights or gun control. Paralegals may also benefit.
- Constitutional Components of Firearms Law
- State and Federal Firearms Laws: What Attorneys Need to Know
- Kansas Concealed and Open Carry Law
- Title 1 Firearms and Their Regulation
- Title 2 Firearms: Unique and Misunderstood
- Firearms Dealers and Licensing Requirements
- Gun Ownership Legal Concerns
- Ethical Considerations When Representing Gun Owners or Dealers
Continuing Legal Education
Credit Hrs State
CLE 7.00 - KS*
CLE 7.20 - MO*
* denotes specialty credits
Local attorney, John Solbach, is a presenter.